Like any technology, Internet radio has advantages and disadvantages. It is important that people should also consider the disadvantages so that they will be better prepared to handle any issue that they might encounter.
Some Disadvantages of Internet Radio Station
- The Internet is not perfect even if it has been existing for many years now. Sometimes users experience outages and no matter how much you pay to get a good connection, it can still go out. Thus, it means that Internet radio can only be as reliable as your Internet connection. Internet radios have the tendency to crash and can be unreliable at times. Times like these can be frustrating.
- Although it is true that Internet radio stations provides a wide range of choices, it can also be a disadvantage. When you want to listen to something specific, it may take you some time to sift through the different radio shows or genre of music before you can find what you are searching for.
- It has little visual appeal. Radio advertisements are usually delivered by voice. Without a visual component, aside from a banner or a web presence where you ask your viewers to click to, advertisers on Internet radio will find it hard to create ads that are stimulating and engaging like those advertisements that have visual and audio elements. Consumers can only imagine the product because they cannot see it.
- It has a fragmented audience. With thousands of Internet radio stations all broadcasting unique music and shows, the audience is divided into small groups. This means advertisers have to spend more to get an ad spot in multiple stations so that they can reach out to a larger audience.
- It becomes ineffective for local advertisement. Although it reaches out globally, it cannot reach out to the local audience. The business may be advertised all over the world, but it does not particularly address the local community.
Anything that technology-based media creates has its ups and downs. But one thing is for sure. Even with the limitations of Internet radio, people will not stop downloading radio software on their computers. As the number of online users increase, Internet radio justifies its great capability as they introduce new updates to live radio online streaming. Its disadvantages is overshadowed by the pleasure it gives to its listeners.