Radio broadcasting started in the early part of the19th century and it has evolved and developed so that it can be made available in mobile situations. With new technology, radio broadcasting made its way into the Internet. Mobile devices can now have access to these radio broadcasts.
How Internet Radio Station Works
- Using a computer as a streaming server – With little technology and a computer with streaming capabilities, you can create your own Internet radio station. Of course, you have to be familiar with the use a microphone and other recording equipment. You will also need an editing software. You can purchase this software in electronic stores or online. This software is installed on the computer. It allows you to stream 24 hours, seven days a week. One of best benefits you can get with a broadcasting software is that you have no limits to the number of users listening in. You only have to make sure that your broadband can handle the load of listeners.
- Hosting radio channels on third party streaming host – On the Internet, you have different options on third party streaming hosts. You can always use free trials or packages as a starter and when you audience increases you can always upgrade.
Basically, you will need three different pieces of software involved in broadcasting your radio station live to an online audience. But first you need a computer with a soundcard and an internet connection. Then you can purchase the following software to start your own Internet Radio Station:
- You can now install an encodingsoftware on your computer. This software sends the computer’s audio signal through the internet to the radio server software on our own committed servers. The encoding software compresses the audio signal into a more compatible format that can be streamed so that there will be a quicker data transfer rates.
- Next you have to install a radio server This software broadcasts this same audio signal through the internet. It allows listeners all over the world to connect with the tune-in links that the software provides to the audio stream with a player of their choice. The radio serverrequires large amounts of bandwidth to cater for all the connecting listeners.
- Finally you will need a bandwidth software. There are services who cater to large amounts of bandwidth, as well as provides a control panel interface so that you can control and manage your station.