Broadcasting through traditional radio station is limited by two factors. First, the power of the station’s transmitter. Usually a station’s transmitter is limited to a radius of 100 miles. The other factor is the available broadcast spectrum. You can get a few dozen radio stations locally.
Internet radio stations are not limited by these two factors. In fact, they have many advantages over the traditional radio stations.
Advantages of Internet Radio
- It has no geographic limitations. What is broadcasted in one country is heard all over the world. Its potential is as wide as the cyberspace itself. Some streaming hosts offers more than 30,000 Internet radio broadcasts.
- Compared to traditional radio, Internet radio is not limited to audio. Its broadcast can be accompanied by images, photos or graphics. You can also add text and links. It is interactive because of its message boards and chat rooms.
- It builds relationship between advertisers and consumers because it allows interactivity and intimacy. This new technology allows a listener not only to listen but also to interact with the broadcaster through chat rooms and message boards. Some listeners become consumers because they hear or see advertisements on the screen.
- It allows you to conduct training or education. You can provide links to documents offer options on how to pay. The trainer or educator will have interactivity with the participants and offer more information.
- It is cheaper to build an Internet radio station in comparison to traditional radio stations. You don’t need much equipment and space.
- It is so easy to use. You don’t have to go through several radio stations to get a good reception or find the music you want to hear. You can easily search and find the music you want to listen to and get a very good connection in a matter of seconds.
- It provides the listeners freedom to choose what they want to listen to. In traditional radio stations you have no choice but to listen to the music the station is playing. With Internet radio you have the freedom to listen to the broadcast when you want to. They are accessible at any time.
- It does not have much interruptions. There are no commercial jingles nor do you have to listen to the chatter of the DJ. You don’t have to suffer listening to endless commercials because advertisements are only seen on the screen and not heard.